Broad-Bodied Chaser

Broad-Bodied Chaser
Wing Mosaic (Broad-bodied Chaser): Winner, Nikon In-Frame Competition August 2010

Cormorant

Cormorant
Cormorant: Winner, Attention to Detail, Bird Photographer of the Year 2017

Friday, 18 September 2026

Tawny Pipit in Suffolk - May 2026

Tawny Pipit is one of those birds I'd never come anywhere near seeing in the UK - an increasingly sarce visitor, and predominately to the South of the UK where they don't tend to hang around too long.

News of one at Languard Point in Suffolk in late April wasn't an option as it was midweek, but it stuck around for a couple of days so I thought it was worth an attempt on Friday evening.  After finishing work early I was able to head down to Suffolk, traffic allowing I should arrive before dusk with a change of seeing it that evening. If not I'd stay over and try again in the morning.  

As it happens the traffic wasn't too bad for a Friday, and I made it with a good couple of hours of light to spare.  On arrival there were a handful of birders surrounding the fenced-off area where the Tawny Pipit was feeding.  It took a while, but I eventually had a few decent views of the bird over a 30 minute period, before it became more elusive.


Tawny Pipit

I was elated to see the bird, more so as it disappeared overnight and was not seen the next day!

I spent the night up the Suffolk coast at Westleton near Minsmere. I had always gone there in early May to see Nightingale, but I hadn't visited for around ten years.  It was great to hear numerous birds singing through the night at the heath and actually around the village, some must have been in peoples gardens!

Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment