After arriving home from Suffolk on the Saturday, I was back in the car on the way to Cornwall on Sunday night after a Lesser Kestrel had been present for a couple of days on Goonhilly Downs. With only a small number of UK records, and the first for some time, I was keen to see this fabulous bird.
The plan was to drive down and get a couple of hours sleep before dawn. As usual, a number of road closures slowed things down so it was already getting light when I arrived. Only a couple of other birders were present at 6am, so we split up and went in different directions to try and locate the bird. After about 30 minures I got a mesasge with news that they had found the bird in a tree on the downs nearby.
I was soon in the right place and watching my first Lesser Kestrel in the UK. As the sun came up it started hunting invertebrates between the small trees and on occaision came close, performing really well and giving some great views for the growing crowd of birders arriving.





No comments:
Post a Comment