Broad-Bodied Chaser

Broad-Bodied Chaser
Wing Mosaic (Broad-bodied Chaser): Winner, Nikon In-Frame Competition August 2010

Cormorant

Cormorant
Cormorant: Winner, Attention to Detail, Bird Photographer of the Year 2017

Tuesday 10 September 2024

Bridled Tern in Northumberland - June 2024

A Bridled Tern was found by the wardens on Coquet Island in Northumberland at the beginning of June and I was keen to see this bird. It was being viewed distantly from the dunes near Amble, so I travelled up after work with the hope of seeing it before dusk.  However, after a lengthy drive it was disappointing to find the light not conducive to picking out individual tern species at over a mile distance across the sea. I realised I was going to have to stay over and try again in the morning.

It was a freezing night and I slept in the car for a few hours, but as it was mid summer it never really seemed to get dark and sleep was impossible.  I started again at 5am and spent a 4 hours trying to pick the bird out, but again with the sun behind the island all that was visible were hundreds of tern silhouettes. It was frustrating knowing I could probably see the Bridled Tern but couldn't pick it out.  To make it worse a couple of birders arrived and claimed to have picked it out after about ten minutes. 

Plan B was instigated and I booked onto one of the 'Puffin Specials' going out to the island around midday.  After a short crossing to the island, I was elated to see the term sat among the Puffins in exactly the spot I was looking at from the dunes.  

After a few minutes the bird flew up and made a few close passes of the boat before landing again, giving superb views.





Back on the mainland I was exhausted but happy to start the long journey home.

Thanks for looking.


No comments:

Post a Comment